The glorious Haliburton Highlands attract travellers worldwide with its stunning and wild beauty that remains unspoiled by man. Tucked into the Haliburton Highlands is the Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve. This is just one of the many thrilling outdoor adventures in the area. The Sandy Lane Resort team knows sifting through everything can get overwhelming, so we’ve created this easy guide on the best things to do in Haliburton Forest. Sandy Lane Resort also has many other guides on things to explore in the area on the blog page.
Sandy Lane Resort also has many stunning cottage rentals near the Haliburton area. Our resort’s cottages are like mini homes and are surrounded by many spectacular attractions like the Haliburton Forest, Algonquin Park, Halls Lake, and plenty of on-site amenities for outdoor adventures. If you are a nature lover, book your stay with Sandy Lane Resort for the trip of a lifetime. You can read our guide below on what you can explore at the nearby Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve.
Things To Explore in Haliburton Forest During the Winter
- Guided Ice Fishing in Haliburton Forest: Explore over 100 lakes stocked with fish by snowshoeing or snowmobiling to the most remote spots.
- Guided Snowshoeing in Haliburton Forest: The knowledgeable guides will take you on thrilling trails suitable for your interests and fitness level to explore the magnificent Haliburton Highlands.
- Ontario’s Snowmobiling Wonderland: The Haliburton Highlands area is one of the best snowmobiling spots in North America and Haliburton Forest has over 400 km of trails to explore.
Fun Activities To Enjoy During the Warmer Months
- Haliburton Forest’s Astronomy Program: The astronomy program takes place at the end of 400 acres of undisturbed nature, which provides a unique opportunity for using the Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope(s) without light pollution.
- Haliburton Forest Canopy Tours: Embark on a breathtaking tour of Haliburton Forest. The tour begins with a scenic drive, canoeing through a wilderness lake, hiking through Pelaw River Rapids, and finally, the canopy tour itself. You will get to explore Haliburton Forest 10-20 metres above ground level.
- Haliburton Forest Trails: Explore the stunning hiking and mountain biking trails during the warmer months of the year.
Fun Activities To Enjoy Year Round in the Haliburton Forest
- Wolf Centre: One of Haliburton Forest’s biggest attractions is its Wolf Centre. Learn about the wolves that live in Haliburton Forest and catch a glimpse of them through the large indoor observatory.
- Fishing: We already talked about how fun ice fishing is, but you can also enjoy fishing during the warmer months.